The History of Top Hats
The top hat was once an essential adornment among influential people and those who thought themselves important. Now it is commonly used mostly by aristocrats, people in dressage competitions, and magicians producing concealed rabbits.
As with many fashion items, when the top hat first saw the light of day is difficult to pin down. One origin of doubtful authenticity is based on a story that involved a haberdasher named John Hetherington. Hetherington was among the first people to step out onto the streets of London wearing a topper.
The narrative is attributed to both The Times and St. James's Gazette and has Hetherington surrounded by a crowd in awe of the "tall structure having a shining lustre, and calculated to frighten timid people" (The Times, allegedly). The story continues that, after a riot, charges were laid against Hetherington for breach of the peace.
It's more likely the top hat evolved from the sugarloaf (or capotain) hat that was popular headgear for women and men in the late 16th to mid-17th centuries. It's also likely that the bragging rights for inventing the chapeau in question was a man named George Dunnage, who turned one out of his hatter's shop in 1793.
By the early 19th century, the top hat had become the hat of choice for society gentlemen. It carried the stamp of approval from none other than George "Beau" Brummel, the fashion dandy and arbiter of good taste; if Beau Brummel wore a top hat, everybody had to wear it. The top hat became ubiquitous throughout the western world.
Throughout the 19th century, the top hat was a mainstay of Victorian life: a man in a topper was well-to-do, respectable, a man of industry. But now the top hat is only a caricature of the upper class privilege it once represented. Its history traces a line through dandies, beavers, silk, and madness.
The top hat is a tall cylindrical hat, typically made of silk mounted on a felt base. It has a high crown, a narrow, slightly curved brim, and is often black.
Materials: wool felt
Victorian Top Hat.
You can make your hat with your favorite color by choosing it from my Wool felt color card.
Short crown top hat embellished with a 50 millimeters wide grosgrain ribbon. Edwardian top hat ideal for everyday and special ocasions such as weddings, cocktails or parties. For man and woman.
Measurements in centimeters are 30 x 25. Crown height 11. Brim length 6. These measurements may have some slight variation depending on the size of the hat.
The end of the brim is reinforced inside with a fine wire covered with cotton thread to always have the hat in perfect condition.
All our felt hats have a 100% natural rayon inner lining (non-synthetic).
Hat size is based on the circumference of the head. In order to determine your proper hat size, you must take a measurement of your head.
Using a tape measure, measure your head about one-half inch above your eyebrows where your hat will rest. Be certain that the tape measure is straight, not twisted. Alternatively, you can use piece of string to measure your head, and then measure the length of the string with a ruler. If you are not certain about size, or are between sizes, buy the larger size.
Use the chart below to determine your hat size based on the measurement you take.
Many businesses choose to use plastic bags in order to save costs. This will make the hat produce creases. Our packages are packed in cardboard boxes to protect them from distortion
Making hats never gets old, only the folks making them. With this comes generations of experience at our craft. We combine old world methods with a modern mindset because quality people deserve quality hats.
carefully CURATED DETAILS
There is deep intention behind every design. We cut fabric and textiles, but never corners. Always an art; never just a hat.
sourcing THE BEST MATERIALS
The best hats come from the best materials and only the finest will do. From 100% merino wool, hand woven toquilla straw, premium furs, and more. Start at the top.
NEVER JUST A HAT
There is deep intention behind every design. We cut fabric and textiles, but never corners. From 100% merino wool, hand woven toquilla straw, premium furs, and more. Start at the top.
Always an art; never just a hat.
Making hats never gets old, only the folks making them. With this comes generations of experience at our craft. But it's what's next that matters most, and that is up to you. We just craft the hats; the transformation happens through you.
Insured Worldwide Shipping: Each order includes real-time tracking details and insurance coverage in the unlikely event that a package gets lost or stolen in transit.
Money-Back Guarantee: If your items arrive damaged or become defective within 30 days of usage, we will gladly issue out a replacement or refund.
24/7 Customer Support: We have a team of live reps ready to help and answer any questions you have within a 24-hour time frame, 7 days a week.
Safe & Secure Checkouts: We use state-of-the-art SSL Secure encryption to keep your personal and financial information 100% protected.
We ship to 127 countries, including the US, CA, AU and all countries in Europe.
Dear Customer, purchase any product here and try it in the comfort of your own home for 14 days.
If for whatever reason you’re not completely satisfied, then return the product within 14 days!
Thanks for shopping with us! We serve hundreds of clients around the world every day and we strive to provide you with the highest level of service. We have been working on optimizing our logistics system, we believe that high-quality shipping will increase customer satisfaction, and every visitor will enjoy our shopping trip.
*We are committed to receiving your order as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here's some important shipping information you should know:
1. SHIPPING: We ship all packages from our domestic/warehouse, standard shipping is $6.99, (NOTE: Orders over $60 in net are eligible for free shipping) You can check the shipping cost at checkout before placing an order.
2. Processing time: For a series of new products such as hats, all order packages will be sent within 2 weeks after the order is placed. Package handling lead time does not include transit time. Meanwhile, tracking number information will be emailed to you once your order ships. Note that processing times may be longer during peak shopping seasons.
3. Shipping method: We provide standard shipping, no expedited shipping service, usually takes 5-20 working days depending on previous shipping status. Please note that transit times may vary depending on your location and carrier delays, and may also be affected by different customs clearance times or public holidays. Unfortunately, this is out of our control. Therefore, we do not promise or guarantee the specific arrival time. The specific transportation situation is subject to the feedback from the transportation company.
4. Track your order: Once your order ships, you will receive a tracking number via the email you entered when placing your order. You can use this number to track your package on our website or the carrier's website. All tracks are available at https://t.17track.net/en.
It may take up to 2 days for the order tracking to be updated before the tracking system activates the tracking number. If the information has not appeared on the express website, please try again after 48 hours.
5. International Shipping: We provide international shipping services to designated countries. Please note that international shipping times may vary and you may be responsible for customs fees and import taxes.
6. Delivery problems: If you encounter any problems during delivery, please contact us immediately. We will do our best to resolve any issues and ensure you receive your order as quickly as possible.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us and we will serve you.
COVID-19 Notice: Due to changing COVID-19 restrictions affecting delivery services, our deliveries may take longer than specified. Know that our fulfillment team continues to ship products daily as we take extra precautions to keep them safe. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
1. To clean our wool hats it’s best to first brush the hat counter clockwise with a soft bristle brush, preferably horsehair bristles. It’s best to use a lighter shade brush for lighter colored hats and darker toned brush for darker hats to avoid color transfer from the bristles.
2. If your hat is looking dusty use a lint roller to gently lift away particles. If you don’t have a lint roller, tape is also effective.
It’s recommended to store stiff / flat brim hats on a flat surface, in a hat box, and always in a dry and cool environment so there is no risk of moisture damage. Hats with curved brims should be stored crown down or on a flat peg or hook that won’t pinch the wool. Storing a curved brim hat on a flat surface will risk disrupting the silhouette and normal shape. It can be very difficult to restore a hat back to it’s original shape.
What happens if your hat gets wet?
If your hat gets wet, shake off the excess water and let it dry. Do not set in the sun to dry and do not leave in a hot car to dry. Once your hat is dry follow cleaning steps 1 & 2.